Bush Tukka Guide by Samantha Martin
In this gorgeous and compact book, Samantha Martin - the 'Bush Tukka Woman' - shares her knowledge and love of bush tukka as taught to her by her mother and other Aboriginal elders. Her Bush Tukka Guide offers rich and wonderful insights into how Aboriginal people survived for centuries unearthing the bounty of this sometimes lush and often desolate land. The book is divided into three chapters covering plants, animals and some recipes to get you started using bush tukka at home. Learn how to find billygoat plums and mountain bush pepper in the wild; discover the reasons Aboriginal people ate magpie geese and honey ants; and test out the delicious flavours of bush tukka recipes like bunya nut pesto, lemon myrtle slow-cooked kangaroo or caramelised cluster figs with ice-cream. If you want to expand your knowledge of the Australian bush, this book is for you.
About the Author
Samantha Martin is a descendant of the Kija and Jaru from the East Kimberley region of Western Australia. She was born into a long line of traditional hunters and gatherers, and had the opportunity to learn from her family how to eat off the land and surrounding waters. Samantha understands the nutritional properties and diversity of Australian bush foods and now wants to help others introduce native foods into their kitchens. She is also passionate about sharing her knowledge of basic survival skills, including how to hunt, prepare and cook bush foods. Known as the 'Bush Tukka Woman', her four-part documentary My Bush Tukka Adventures with Samantha Martin, has been screened on SBS/NITV (National Indigenous TV station) for the past six years.
- Easy-to-Read Layout - Packed full of Identification Photos of Plants with their descriptions
- Sections are labelled easily by colour - Quickly flip to the Section you're looking for
- Includes Recipes utilising Bush Tukka found in the bush
- Generations of valuable knowledgable packed into one book!
- Identify Australian plants and animals, and learn how to cook with them
- Format: Paperback
- Language: English
- Number Of Pages: 200
- Published: 1st April 2014
- Publisher: Hardie Grant Explore
- Country of Publication: AU
- Dimensions (cm): 18.5 x 12.5 x 1.7
- Weight (kg): 0.35
- Edition Number: 1