Berkey or Propur Purification System?
So you're thinking about buying a Berkey or Propur water purifier but confused about the different filter element types? Don't worry, the information below will help you understand the different filter types, their abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
1. Berkey System with Black Berkey Purification Elements
The Black Berkey Purification Elements are made in Texas in the USA by New Millenium Concepts who is the manufacturer of Berkey Water filter systems and accessories. They are designed to sit in the top chamber of the system and have the following benefits:
- Designed to exceed the 'Purification' class of filter elements. The Black Berkey Purification Elements remove or reduce more contaminants than elements in the 'Filtration' class.
- Have an 'Absolute' filtration rating (defined as >99.9999999%), equivalent to better than 0.1 micron.
- Made from natural coconut husk. They do not add anything to the water being filtered and the natural, healthy minerals remain.
- More powerful than most other gravity filter element systems currently available.
- They are called "Purification" elements because they are more powerful than filters in the "Filtration" classification and are therefore in the next, higher level of classification.
- Rated to 11,300 litres or when cleaning is ineffective. Generally in Australia they last 3-5 years and often longer. Some users have reported 10 years or more, depending on the water quality used.
They can remove:
- Pathogenic Bacteria such as E-coli, Salmonella, Legionella, Cholera, Salmonella Typhi (Typhoid), Shigella, Klebsiella >99.9999%
- Viruses; >99.999%
- >99.99%; Cryptosporidium, Giardia, and other cysts
- Chlorine (taste & odour) to below lab detectable levels
- Rust, Silt and dirt to below lab detectable levels
- Lead to below lab detectable levels
- Trihalomethanes - Removed to >99.8%
- Chromium: 99.9%
They have some disadvantages such as:
- Higher cost price.
- Not as easy as Propur to setup and use: Due to the incredibly small pore size the Black Berkey Elements must be 'primed' before use.
- Require regular cleaning and backflushing
- Only reducing Glyphosates by 75%
Berkey PF2 Fluoride and Heavy Metal Reduction Filter Elements:
The PF2 Fluoride Filter Elements are designed to used in conjunction with Black Berkey filter elements. They filter out fluoride and certain heavy metals that the Black Berkey elements are unable to filter. The number one reason they are added to a Berkey system is to remove fluoride from mains water. These are designed to hang in the bottom chamber. They must be connected to a Black Berkey filter. They cannot be used on their own.
- For use only with Black Berkey Purification Elements
- 3750 Litres or 2 year lifespan (whichever comes first)
The PF2 shell is made from safe, non-leaching Polypropylene #5, that is BPA-Free. The PF2 reduction elements are designed to adsorb the following unwanted elements most commonly found in drinking water:
- MTBE (Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether) > 95% reduction
- Fluoride >99.75% reduction (best results at a more neutral Ph)
- Lead >99.9% reduction
- DBCP (Dibromo-chloro-propane)
- THMs (trihalomethanes)
- Herbicides & Pesticides
- Heavy Metal ions
2. ProPur Water Prufication Systems with ProOne® G2.0 Elements:
The ProPur Purification Systems with ProOne® G2.0 Water Filter Elements are made in the USA by ProPur USA and are the second generation of their high quality filter elements. They are designed to sit in the top chamber. These are made with a modern advanced manufacturing technology which combines silver impregnated white ceramic with AquaMetix™ media for reduction of fluoride and other heavy metals eliminating the need to have two filters to remove fluoride such as the Berkey systems. They have the following benefits:
- Very high quality product
- Newer technology than Berkey
- Designed to exceed 'Purification' Class
- Have an 'Absolute' filtration rating (defined as >99.999% or greater)
- Made with new technology called AquaMetix™ media. They retain the natural healthy minerals in the water and reduce fluoride and contaminants at the same time.
- Produces neutral to slightly alkaline water for healthier water that is more easily absorbed by the body. (PH depends on water source)
- Contain trace elements of silver, which inhibits microbiological growth on the filter over a long period of time.
- Rated for 3000 litres each or when cleaning is ineffective. Maximum lifespan is 2 years max.
- Lower price for fluoride & contaminant reduction compared to Berkey systems.
- Comparable in performance with Black Berkey & PF2 Elements.
- Easier than Berkey to setup, use and maintain.
- Stainless Steel is available in Polished or Brushed and very high quality
They can reduce or remove:
- Pathogenic Bacteria
- Fluoride >98%
- Pesticides including Glyphosate to 100% (Berkey is only rated to 75% reduction)
- Chlorine (taste & odour)
- Rust, Silt and dirt
- Chloramines (ammonia with chlorine)
- Hydrofluorosilicic acid (the latest form of fluoride not covered by other fluoride filter brands)
They have some disadvantages such as:
- They must be replaced at least every 6000 litres/pair or 2 years (whichever comes first) as the fluoride removal will reach maximum absorption.
- Generally filter at a slightly slower rate than Berkey filter elements.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to one of our friendly staff, please contact us.